The school traces its roots and foundations back to the Queen Victoria High School, which was founded in Stockton in the nineteenth century. These buildings no longer survive, but the site was opposite St Peter’s Church on the Yarm Road in Stockton.
The Cleveland School was founded in 1938 but moved in 1945 to the rambling mansion of Woodside Hall on the beautiful banks of the River Tees in Eaglescliffe. These impressive buildings were enjoyed by generations of schoolgirls before their demolition in 1970.
Aims and Ethos
Teesside High School is an intentionally small community with traditional values. Alongside our academic results and aspirations, these are the main reasons why parents choose our school. We provide a caring, friendly and lively environment in which the individual is valued and nurtured. Whilst the school has a Christian ethos, our community contains pupils from a range of religious and non-religious backgrounds. Our whole school assemblies reflect on moral and spiritual issues relevant to all young people as we seek to share values of tolerance and understanding of the world around us. The culture of the school reflects these differences, whilst celebrating our similarities.
Teesside High School was created in 1970 by the amalgamation of two much older independent schools: Queen Victoria High School (1883) and Cleveland School (1939). The School is fortunate in having some 20 acres of attractive grounds on the banks of the River Tees, in what was once the rambling mansion of Woodside Hall. The lovely old buildings, enjoyed by generations of schoolgirls, were sadly demolished in 1970 lending way to the current school which is easily accessible by road (close to the A66 and A19), rail (a five minute walk to Eaglescliffe station) and air (Tees Valley airport). It serves a wide catchment area with pupils travelling from the Teesside conurbation, south Durham and North Yorkshire. The School roll is currently just under 400 pupils.